Garden Shade Cloth
Our highest quality garden shade cloth is built extra tough with grommets placed every 6-8″ for easy securing and sewn corners for a finished look. This 40% garden shade cloth is made specifically for growing fruits and vegetables. By only blocking out 40% of the UV light, you can protect delicate seedlings, prevent sunscald on vegetable plants, reduce evaporation, and more! Many different shade cloths are sold for garden use, but they block out too much UV light, leaving the plants to struggle and grow slowly. Our custom-designed shade cloth is made to help urban growers and growers in warm climates thrive. On our farm here in Southern California, shade cloth is THE most important tool to keep our farm thriving during hot periods.
What makes our shade cloth different than others?
- Grommets placed every 6-8″ for easy securing or hanging.
- Extra tough corners are sewn for a finished look.
- 40% UV blockage is the best for growing vegetables, reducing sunlight transmission while still allowing for rapid plant growth and optimal photosynthesis.
- 6×12 foot panels are ideal for raised beds.
- Light, flexible, and slightly stretchy material allows for the shade cloth to be draped, strung, hung, or tied to posts. The lightweight design also makes storing shade cloth in the off-season easy!
Sold in 6-foot wide x 12-foot long panels.
What can shade cloth be used for? Shade cloth is used in the following ways on our farm:
- Shade and protect delicate seedlings when first transplanted.
- Increase germination rates on direct-sown crops by reducing soil evaporation.
- Protect bell peppers and other crops from sunburn.
- Extend the season for cool-season crops like lettuces and leafy greens.
- Reduce the frequency of irrigation.
- Allow for cool-season crops to be started in a shade house with 40% shade cloth on it during hot, dry California fall weather.
Watch all our videos on shade cloth on our YouTube Channel.
Tools and Merchandise Return Policy
- Tools & Merchandise may be returned to us within 30 days of the original order date.
- To be eligible for a return, the item must be unused, in the same condition that you received it, and in its original packaging.
- Customers are responsible for paying return shipping costs.
- Please include your order number and contact details with your return.
- Once we receive your return, we will inspect it and notify you of your exchange/refund status.
- Exchanges: Customers are responsible for paying return shipping costs. Tools and Merchandise items will be exchanged and returned free of charge. A refund will be applied if the requested item for exchange is not in stock.
- Refunds: We will apply a credit to your original payment method within 14 calendar days.
This worked brilliantly to reduce the heat stress on my plants during the peak summer heat in the Inland Empire in summer 2020 while letting the plants thrive. Our temperatures reached as high as 117 degrees F. I attached the shade cloth to 4 wooden poles inserted into the ground by wrapping each corner of the shade cloth around each pole and holding the ends closed with binder clips. This shade cloth appears to be excellent quality and lasted well through the season. I definitely plan on setting it out again this summer.
This shade cloth even saved last year’s geraniums from “frying” during the 3-digit hot summers in So Cal. This year this shade cloth has helped my three Bell pepper plants in separate containers to grow three times this summer. It’s now fall and the plants are still producing peppers.
Cindy (verified owner) –
I’ve had this shade cloth for a week and could not wait to use it when I ordered it. I took it right out of the box and I immediately placed it over my 2 raised garden beds. The length was perfect to cover both raised beds and did not have to cut the cloth. I was able to easily place grommets to secure the cloth over garden posts and my plants/herbs/flowers are flourishing already. I can really notice the difference since I was using empty planters to shade my garden in the interim until I found the perfect shade cloth. I feel it’s worth the price for my hot/windy Socal climate and so that my efforts in growing my seedlings do not go to waste (I already lost a bunch of spinach seedlings to the heatwave last month). Thank you SDSC for doing the research on this great cloth!